Oct 172016
 

The handsome fellows over on the Scale Creep blog invited me to join their Heroquest Hero Quest and I could hardly turn them down. After all, I had already embarked on this journey myself and could use an incitament to revisit the project. A week later, I can offer up a rough looking bog cyclops for your viewing pleasure!

hq_fimir1

I chose to submit a fimir, because it was… already a work in progress. For me, the hobby is all about cutting corners and reaching results with the least level of effort. I’m a firm believer in “80/20″. Applied to the modeling hobby, one can say a model reaches 80% of the potential result when you’ve spent 20% of the total effort on it. For me, that’s a pretty good spot to stop in. Could I do another level of highlights? A few more glazes? Maybe a free hand pattern? Sure. Would it matter, in the long run? Nope. Instead I can spend the same time finishing another few models to an acceptable level… or browse interwebz forums. At least, it’s better than my old paint jobs from the early 90s.

There’s not much to say about the finished fimir. Gretchin Green base coat, washed with Devlan Mud and highlighted with Gretchin Green mixed with Vallejo Pale Flesh and Bronzed Flesh, and another wash of Gryphonne Sepia. The basing used is the same as on all my fantasy models. A 25 mm metal washer, with painted sand and static grass. Simple things!

It’s a bit more traditional in colour scheme than what the godfathers of Fimir (Mr Saturday and Fimm) have used, but I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. I spent some unnecessary effort on the eye. A yellow eye ball with a black pupil would’ve sufficed. Instead I did a white eye ball, black dot, yellow iris and then a black pupil. Doesn’t even show in the photo. Nuts!

Coming up next over at the Creeps’ – Curis, master of elbow painting and sphincter trumpeting! Knock it out the box, Chris!

Oct 132013
 

Saturday last weekend I had the opportunity to regress into child hood for an evening. Some old mates came visiting, we had some good food and drinks and most importantly – we played Hero Quest!

When this was decided I still didn’t have very many HQ models painted. Only two of the zombies, really. So, I went about to see what I had painted or near painted that could stand in for the models in the box. The four skeletons, the evil sorcerer and the four heroes were easy, I just picked them from my Stillburg project. For gobbos, I had the Iron Claw goblins I painted a few years ago. Three fully finished, but I needed six so I dug out three more from the same range and plopped a green stuff hat on one of them. The rest of the models needed were not even based and primed!

That left me with the need for 4 chaos warriors, 3 fimir, 2 mummies, 1 gargoyle and 8 orcs. The orcs were nearly there, as I decided to use the Harboth’s orcs I had painted to near completion. I did them up first, as can be seen here.

Next, I got started on the models I had to finish. After cleaning, cutting, prepping and priming I was left with the below – and three days to finish them!

 

I decided to tackle the easiest models first, and in an evening I had these done to an acceptable table top level. The mummies are standard Hero Quest, while the chaos warriors are the 90s monopose plastic regiment warriors. Used them instead of the original warriors in order to save some time on the base cutting (I’m not keeping the integral bases).

 

The next evening I actually didn’t paint anything (foolishly) – so I never managed to finish the goblins, fimir and gargoyle. They did come some way though. Even if I didn’t actually finish any more models I think I did a pretty good job for three days of work.

In the Swedish translation the gargoyle is called “the horror mask”. It doesn’t make sense in Swedish either.

And the full set of proxies and half-jobs.

 

It didn’t really matter, as long as all the bases were finished (but I did miss the static grass on the mummies… curses!). We had a few great games, produced a rather eclectic playlist on Spotify and managed to squeeze in a few cigars. I had a fun night and so did my mates.

 

Now I’m well motivated to get the full set painted (including proper Chaos Warriors, I went for 4th edition plastics to avoid spending time cutting bases). Thusly, my old paintjobs (as previously displayed) went into the stripping jar!

“Hey, I’m in here!”

 

Before embarking on the full Hero Quest set, I’ll get a few ghouls painted up though. We’re playing a game or two of Stillburg the coming weekend! It’s been near two years since last time! Also, I have a few half finished goblins and fimir to do. And a gargoyle to touch up. And four chaos warriors to give a final drybrush. And two dwarfs to paint for a friend. And…

Anyways, here’s what I’m aiming for. Mike McVey’s splendid rendition of the Hero Quest models (or well, metal prototypes) in White Dwarf #113.

Magic Mike at his best.